I am going to start this blog off with the easiest and most delicious banana cake you will ever try. Seriously! This is my MIL’s recipe and although you could play with it, change things, add things (like frosting), you don’t need to and you won’t want to once you try it! It’s a perfect sweetness…not too sweet. Believe me when I say my family is one who loves to take a recipe and play with it and dress things up, down, and all around! We definitely like to experiment! I’m not going to bore you any further with step-by-step pictures because this cake is just too simple to make! Without further ado:
- 1 C. Crisco shortening (or lard if you have it since it’s better for you)
- 1 1/2 C. Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 Organic Pasture Eggs (room temperature)
- 1 C. Sour Organic or Raw Milk (1 tspn. vinegar added to milk)
- 1 tspn. Baking Powder (Non-GMO – Bob’s Red Mill has some)
- 1 tspn. Baking Soda
- 2 C. All-Purpose Flour (can also use King Arthur Gluten Free Flour or I am starting to make my own with the instructions from Gluten-Free Girl)
- 1 tspn. Vanilla Extract
- 1 C. Mashed Ripe Bananas (3 average size VERY ripe)
- 1/2 C. Walnuts or Pecans (optional – never add since one of us can’t eat tree nuts but if you aren’t allergic, go for it!)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease 9″x13″ pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream Crisco and sugar together; add eggs. Beat till creamy.
- Alternate beating in milk and dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla and mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Pour into pan. Bake approximately 30 minutes, checking after 20 minutes with a toothpick in middle (will cook faster in metal pans, glass can take up to 45 minutes depending on oven). You want the toothpick to have a few crumbs, but not be wet.
This is wonderful served with a tall glass of ice cold milk! It’s delicious both fresh out of the oven AND room temperature. How you eat it depends on your preference! Hope y’all enjoy!